The Stained Glass of St. Mary’s Church – Bocan
Stained Glass Windows
Earley and Company (1861–1975)
Stained glass windows by Earley who were ecclesiastical furnishings and stained glass manufacturers and retailers, based in Camden Street, Dublin, Ireland. The firm was one of the largest and most prestigious ecclesiastical decorators both in Ireland and the U.K. They provided a high standard of ecclesiastical art during the Gothic revival of the 1800s and the building of Catholic Churches which flourished in the first half of the 20th century.
The firm was founded by John Earley and his brother, sculptor Thomas .
Their designs were heavily influenced by the work of the acclaimed stained glass artist Harry Clarke.
St. Mary’s Catholic Church, Bocan
Detached three-bay T-plan Catholic church, built 1824, with four-stage tower to west, extended c. 1848, projecting vestry to east. Pitched purple slate roof with ashlar copings and carved skew-ends to gable-parapets, cast-iron rainwater goods and stucco cornice eaves courses; brick chimneystack to vestry. Roughcast rendered walls with ashlar green limestone diagonal buttresses with cast-iron finials to west end, buttresses culminating in colonnettes to tower, ashlar moulded stringcourses to tower. Date-stone to tower reads ‘1836-1936’. Pointed-arch lancet window openings with green limestone ashlar surrounds, hoodmouldings and sills; leaded stained and coloured glass windows; timber louvers to bell chamber of tower. Pointed-arch headed door opening with battened timber double doors with decorative hinges and coloured-glass fanlight. Set within own grounds with graveyard surrounding containing memorial tablets and crosses to graves. Roughcast rendered boundary wall and piers with smooth rendered coping and modern painted steel gates. Timber ribs to coffers of suspended ceiling, timber balustrade to choir-loft, elliptical chancel and aisle arches clad in timber panelling.