The 17th century planter’s church ruin at Cloncha
is believed to have been built on the foundation of
an earlier church associated with a monastic site
founded by St Morialagh in the 6th Century.
The monastery was one of the most important
foundations in the development of Christianity on Inishowen.
It’s proximity to Carrowmore and another monastic site founded by
St Boudan in Culdaff made this area a great seat of skill and learning.
The fragments of two high crosses remain – The shaft of a tall cross with a
crudely reconstructed head, only the south arm of the head is original, and the head of a later cross.
The 10/11th Century tall cross, known as St Boden’s Cross, is 3.95 metres high with carving divided into panels.
The west face, pictured below, has two celtic interlace designs with the hermits St Peter and St Paul between them,
immediately above the saints are two lions. The east face also features celtic interlace panel and the only sculptural panel
has been identified as the miracle of the loaves and fishes. In the same field west of the High Cross, the head of a 12th century wheel
cross can be found lying prostrate with a large base next to it.
Stained Glass Panel - St. Buadan's - Culdaff VillageWar Memorial 1947 (opus sectile mosaic)Catherine O'Brien (1881–1963)Stained glass window by Catherine Amelia "Kitty" O'Brien, a member and director of An Túr Gloine (Irish for "The Glass Tower") ...